The Hon. Emily Charlotte Meynell Ingram
Posted on the 1st Oct 2017 in the category Resources
The Hon. Emily Charlotte Meynell Ingram (1840- 1904) was the daughter of Sir Charles Wood, sometime Chancellor of the Exchequer, and subsequently first Viscount Halifax. She shared the religious convictions of her elder brother Charles Lindley Wood, later 2nd Viscount Halifax, who was for many years the President of the English Church Union.
In 1863 she married Hugo Francis Meynell Ingram, of Temple Newsam House in Yorkshire, and Hoar Cross, Staffordshire. Tragically he died in a riding accident in 1871, leaving her widowed and childless at the age of 31.
By a deed dated 3 February 1903, she transferred the advowson of Holy Angels, Hoar Cross, and several other livings to Trustees. Mindful of their foundress's original intentions, the Meynell Church Trustees have now, in turn, resolved to transfer the administration of these advowsons (with the exception of Hoar Cross itself), to the Society for the Maintemanance of the Faith. The Benefices concerned are as follows:
1) Fleetwood St Peter and St David (Diocese of Blackburn). Sole patronage.
2) Fleetwood St Nicholas (Diocese of Blackburn). Joint patronage with the Bishop of Blackburn. The foundation stone was laid by Nicholas Meynell in 1960. Originally a chapel of ease of St Peter’s it acquired its own parish in 1987.
3) Altofts (Diocese of Leeds, formerly Wakefield). Sole patronage. St Mary Magdalene Church was built by G F Bodley at Emily Meynell Ingram’s expense.
4) Holbeck (Diocese of Leeds, formerly Ripon) Joint patronage with the Vicar of Leeds and the diocesan bishop. St Edward’s Church, Holbeck, was built by G F Bodley at Emily Meynell Ingram’s expense. It was demolished in 1984.
5) Whitkirk, St Mary (Diocese of Leeds, formerly Ripon). Sole patronage. The oldest medieval church in Leeds, and parish church to Temple Newsam, seat of the Ingram family since 1622.
6) Ashley, Mucklestone, Broughton, and Croxton (Diocese of Lichfield). Joint patronage with the Bishop of Lichfield and others. The Meynell family held land at Ashley.
7) The Trentcliffe Group benefice (Diocese of Lincoln). Joint patronage with the Bishop of Lincoln and the Church Society. The Ingrams were Lords of the Manor of Laughton. All Saints, Laughton, was restored by G F Bodley at at Emily Meynell Ingram’s expense, and it houses an effigy of her husband.
8) Bolton upon-Dearne, St Andrew (Diocese of Sheffield). Sole patronage. Nearby Hickleton Hall was Emily Meynell Ingram's childhood home, and the seat of the Wood family until 1947.
9) St Michael the Archangel, West Retford (Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham). Now part of the Retford Area Team Ministry.
10) Appleton-le-Street with Amotherby, Barton-le-Street, Hovingham and Slingsby (Diocese of York). Joint patronage with the Archbishop, and Sir William Ralph Worsley, Bt., of Hovingham Hall. St Michael, Barton-le-Street, is described by Pevsner as "a sumptuous small Norman church, rebuilt without any restraint." A memorial tablet records that Hugo Meynell Ingram, as Lord of the Manor, paid for the rebuilding in 1871.